“This method of storing ap-ples helped us very much in extending the storage life of our produce for a longer pe-riod without any damage, thus benefiting us with a net profit nearly doubled. We really thank USAID for focus-ing on the baseline of the fruit producers,” says Haji Asadullah owner of Jalrez cool room.
Farmer is sorting and grading apples to be stored in cool rooms in Wardak Province
In order to expand apple storage and extend the life of fresh apples for local farmers, USAID funded the construction of two cool storage rooms with the storage capacity of 25 metric tons each in Maidan Wardak province.
To construct and design the rooms, USAID worked in partnership with the Department of Agriculture, Irrigation & Livestock, and two local farmers.
The farmers contributed labor and 25% of the construction cost in cash. The remaining 75%, or $8,000 USD, was provided by USAID.
Before construction of cool rooms, farmers were all selling the same products at the same time, and prices stayed low. In a cool room, produce stays fresh longer so it can be sold after the peak season.
Higher offseason prices increase profits and stabilize businesses for farmers.
Cool Rooms Heat Up Prices for Farmers